Big health is upon us. We’re not referring to an evil oligarchy, rather the enormity of opportunity and options available promoting both community and individual well-being. There is focus and pressure from all sides. Consider these:
- Access to care is transforming from a consumer service to a human right, with far- reaching implications for providers, payers, and government
- Technologies are rapidly coming to market that enable amazing recovery from acute health issues and improvement in quality of life for those with chronic health problems
- Self-awareness of health issues is at an all-time high, with thousands of consumer applications that enable management of the basics like weight control and nutrition, to chronic health issues like diabetes
- Employers strongly promote health for their employees, both as a perk and a way to improve productivity
- The attitude of healthcare institutions is changing from one of paternalism to patient- centric care and democratization of information
This level of access to care, information, and technology is undoubtedly beneficial, but it’s also scary. How does a person navigate all this stuff? If nothing else, healthcare was much simpler when we there were fewer things to think about.
First, take a deep breath and relax. For many people, the ability to take control of their own health and having so many resources at their disposal to do so is overwhelming. How does one even begin to consume their medical data, comprehend its meaning, and then take actions that improve their health?
The good news is that everyone is capable of taking the wheel and driving their own healthcare, be it physical fitness, managing a chronic illness, or navigating an acute health battle. The mission of the Nicolette empowerment blog is to empower people to do just that: take the wheel and drive.
When it comes to empowerment, it is important to do three things well:
- Understand Your Medical Data
- Research Relevant Health Topics
- Take the Correct Action
Each week our team will publish our suggestions for becoming empowered by developing each of these skills. We hope you will join our new community.